Let’s face it. Times are tough and taking care of our hair isn’t quite as high on our list of needs and must-haves as it once was. In these times of economic insecurity, its not always comfortable to bear the cost of a monthly haircut, let alone color maintenance. Here are some tips from the stylists at Lather Hair Salon in Raleigh, NC, to stretch salon maintenance visits and save money and still have great hair.
* Choose a low maintenance hairstyle. Bobs are high on the list of cost-effective cuts. They can last for months.
* This a great time to change your hair color habits. Try to avoid dramatic colors reminiscent of crayola. They require a huge amount of maintenance.
* Consider low lights instead. Low lights last for months!
* Just in case you can’t live without highlights, try to keep them subtle — no more then 4 shades lighter then your natural hair color.
* For you have just a little gray to cover, a demi-permanent dye, similar to your own color, will last 6-9 weeks with NO regrowth lines.
* If you need to cover a lot of grey, keep it natural. Get a permanent color that is within 1 to 2 shades of your own, non-gray hair color.